Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) is a department which helps patients with problems and disability due to various medical or surgical conditions. The patient is treated as a whole individual and we try to help him/her to get back to their previous functional life. PMR offers a holistic approach towards disability caused by conditions like spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke, amputation, musculoskeletal pain, cerebral palsy, diabetic foot ulcers, polio, geriatric population and various other conditions which can cause a limitation in functioning of an individual’s life. PMR Physicians treat spasticity, pain, neurogenic bladder and bowel, paralysis, bed sores, prescribe appropriate prosthesis and orthoses etc. and help make a goal of rehabilitation with a team of allied
Rehabilitation aims to help a person gain independence in their life and the confidence to get back to being a productive member of a society. Where full functional independence is not possible, we train the caregivers in taking care of the patient and help families deal with the medical condition of the their loved ones. Counselling about prognosis of the medical condition is a big part of rehabilitation.
We are supported by an excellent team of physicians and surgeons from departments like Neurology, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Palliative medicine and supportive care, Paediatrics, General medicine, General surgery and others. Department of PMR believes in making an individual independent in their daily life, regardless of their disability.
- Stroke sequelae
- Spinal cord injury sequelae
- Traumatic brain injury sequelae
- Diabetic foot ulcer
- Bed sores
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Cerebral palsy
- Neural tube defects – Myelomeningocele
- Musculoskeletal pain conditions – Osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia etc.
- Post polio residual paralysis
- Botox injections for spasticity
- Intramuscular injections for pain
- Phenol neuromuscular blocks for spasticity
- Alcohol neuromuscular block for spasticity
- Prosthetic limb fitting
- Orthotic management for diabetic foot ulcers
- Orthotic management of foot drop
Dr. Maitreyi C Patil