About Critical Care Medicine
The department of Critical Care at Kasturba Hospital caters to a variety of patients from different specialties. The department manages two intensive care units with a total of 32 beds and a HDU with 14 beds. We provide ventilator support, haemodynamic support and other supportive care to critically ill patients. Our department consists of two associate professors, 8 assistant professors and two senior residents working full time in the department. We train anaesthesiology and internal medicine postgraduates who are rotated through ICU every month. We have efficient nursing staff with 80 nurses of various seniorities working full time in the ICU. The department has controlled documents such as policies and guidelines for smooth functioning of the ICU.
Scope of Services
- We provide an emergency response team, “Code Blue”, in case of cardiopulmonary arrest anywhere in the hospital.
- We provide vascular access in patients with difficult venous access
- We admit patients who need organ support due to critical illness.
- We manage patients from specialties like neurosurgery, Hepatobiliary and gastrointestinal surgery, general surgery, general medicine, infectious diseases, respiratory medicine, oro-maxillo facial surgery, orthopedics , nephrology, medical oncology, surgical oncology, gastroenterology and urology. We take opinions from the relevant specialties wherever necessary.
- We encourage organ donation whenever the relatives are willing for donation in a patient who suffers brainstem death.
- We conduct family meetings/ counseling whenever there is a change in the patients condition and update the family regarding the same.
- Patient relatives visiting times are morning 07.00am – 07.30am and evening 18.00am – 18..30pm. If the patient relatives wish to speak to the doctor in between these times, ICU doctor will be available.
Dr. Shwethapriya Rao
Head of Department
Dr. Souvik Chaudhuri
Dr. Megha Sharma
Dr. Sagar Maddani S
Dr. Arjun N R
Dr. Sunil R
Dr. Vishal Shanbhag
Dr. Vishwas P