About Medical Oncology
The Medical Oncology department provides systemic therapy for all malignancies, both solid and haematological, in addition to the initial evaluation and survivorship care for cancer patients. As a team, the department forms an integral part of the Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Care Center (MCCCC) and works in close coordination with the other oncological specialties like radiation oncology, surgical oncology, palliative and supportive care, and nuclear medicine to provide comprehensive personalized and holistic state of the art oncological care for all patients with cancer. The department offers autologous bone marrow transplant facilities also, the first center in coastal and central Karnataka to initiate the same. It is the only center with a facility in the district. The department considers curable cancers as the utmost priority; multiple charitable funds and government and philanthropic assistance programs are used to support patients with curable cancers.
HOD: Dr Karthik Udupa
1st Floor, Shirdi Saibaba Cancer and Research Centre
Madhav Nagar, Manipal, Karnataka 576104
Systemic therapy for solid and hematological malignancies as day-care and inpatient
- Chemotherapy including complicated protocols requiring stringent monitoring like high dose methotrexate (with monitoring of methotrexate levels), dose-adjusted EPOCH therapy.
- High dose chemotherapy with stem cell rescue (autologous bone marrow transplantation) in patients with multiple myeloma.
- Newer targeted therapy treatments like Trastuzumab, Trastuzumab Emtansine and Pertuzumab for Breast Cancers and Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma.
- Immunotherapy including Nivolumab, Ipilimumab, Atezolizumab, Pembrolizumab and Durvalumab
- Precision medicine targeted treatment like EGFR/ALK/ROS inhibitors for lung cancer, PARP inhibitors (Olaparib/Rucaparib) for Breast, Ovarian, Pancreatic and Prostate Cancers.
- Oral Metronomic Chemotherapy, which is an a low-cost, indigenously developed treatment protocol involving a combination of effective synergistic oral medications for the treatment of certain malignancies
Supportive care for chemotherapy-related complications like Febrile Neutropenia
Works in close coordination with the palliative care team to discuss goals of care and to ensure good/preserved quality of life for patients with advanced malignancies
Curative treatment of Oligometastatic (stage 4) cancers, after discussion in multidisciplinary tumor boards, with the support of other oncology specialties
Post-treatment care in the form of survivor follow-up, with timely addressing of the survivorship issues
Oncofertility counselling and fertility preservation services in coordination with the Manipal Assisted Reproduction Center for Oncofertility concerns of our adolescent and young adult (AYA) patients
Procedures like bone marrow aspiration and biopsy, lumbar punctures, ascitic tapping, pleural tapping, chemo-port care and supports in HIPEC treatment.
Works to increase public awareness about various cancers, with public presentations and newspaper articles
Involved in high quality clinical and basic science research in the oncology field
Genetic counselling and testing for breast and ovarian cancer patients
Physiotherapy care for patients with Chemotherapy-induced Neuropathy, lymphedema, and other chronic issues in cancer survivors
Integrated services for nutritional support during cancer treatment with our nutrition and dietetics department
Dr. Karthik Udupa
head of department
Dr. Ananth Pai
Dr. Sharada Mailankody