The Department of Urology at Kasturba Hospital offers full-fledged urology care to patients along the Konkan Coast from Calicut to Goa.The department provides comprehensive treatment for common urological problems like prostate diseases,urinary stones, infections, malignancies, and strictures of the urethra.
The department is widely recognized and specializes in Radical Cancer Surgeries such as Radical Nephrectomy, Radical Cystectomy and Retro peritoneal lymphadenectomy. Different types of complex urinary diversions including continent pouches are also performed here.
The department also has facilities for the diagnosis and treatment of all problems in Paediatric Urology. The range of paediatric endoscopes makes endo-urological procedures feasible in children. The Department performs complex surgical procedures such as Intra renal Surgery, Nephron-sparing Surgery for Renal cell Carcinoma and Anatrophic Nephrolithotomy exploiting hypothermia and regional vascular control. Ablative & Reconstructive Lap urology has already started.
Renal Transplantation Programme
The Uro-Nephrology Centre collectively oversee a very successful ongoing “Live Related Donor Renal Transplantation” programme(the first Renal Transplant was made in oct 1993).This programme offers a relatively affordable package inclusive of donor kidney harvesting and recipient surgery. The Centre thus provides succour to those economically deprived, requiring renal replacement in end stage renal disease.Recently the centre has started “Cadaver Renal Transplantation” with the doctor who is trained from Canada in Cadaver Renal Transplantation.
Infrastructure of Uro-Nephrology Centre
- 23 Computerised Dialysis Machines
- Siemens’ Lithostar
- Diagnostic Cysto- ureteroscopes for all age groups
- Resectoscopes (for Transurethral Resection of Prostate)
- Ureteroscopes (to deal with Ureteric Stones)
- Nephroscopes (designed for managing Renal Stones through percutaneous modalities)
- Internal Urethrotomes (for division of urethral strictures)
- Paediatric Endoscopes (both Diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Ultrasound (State-of-the-art Ultrasound with a wider range of high frequency probes and
- Colour Doppler)
- Urodynamic System (DANTEC)
- (The Urodynamic System is the most versatile and has multiple functions including urethral
- pressure profilemetry)
- Laparoscopic System (Both scopes, operative Instruments and endocameras with monitors)
- Operating Microscope (For Andrological Surgery)
- Image Intensifier with two monitors and storage facilities
- Four dedicated OTS
- Laparoscopic instruments for all urological surgeries
Dr. Arunkumar Chawla
Head of Department
Dr. Padmaraj Hegde
Dr. Sunil Bhaskar Pillai
Dr. Zeeshan Hameed