About Department of Hand Surgery
The Department of Hand Surgery is the Superspeciality offshoot of the Unit of Hand and Microsurgery. The unit of Hand surgery came into existence in 1992 as a separate subspecialty in the Department of Orthopaedics. Since April 2021, the unit has been elevated to a new Superspeciality department of Hand Surgery headed by Professor Dr. Anil K. Bhat.
The department deals with traumatic, congenital, inflammatory, neoplastic, or degenerative problems of the Hand and Wrist. The Hand is a key organ of prehension and sensibility, and hence, any of its disorders should receive early and special attention. In this regard, hand surgeons are involved with the complex reconstruction of the upper extremity, which includes bone, joint, nerve, muscle or vessels or a gamut of its combinations. Given their special expertise, they also deal with nerve injuries of the lower limb. Kasturba Hospital, Manipal, is one of the very few centres in India which offers this facility.
TREATMENTS & PROCEDURES
We focus on patient care in problems of the Hand, which varies from common day to day injuries to major reconstruction of skin, tendons, muscles, bones, nerves, vessels for trauma, congenital disabilities and tumours affecting the Hand.
- We offer treatment for congenital differences of the upper limb, including limb lengthening.
- Wrist disorders including wrist arthroscopy, complex ligament reconstruction and sports injuries of upper limb.
- Hand trauma including basic and complex fractures, tendon and nerve injuries, microsurgical procedures like replantation and flaps.
Brachial plexus injuries, nerve and tendon reconstruction procedures.
- Soft tissue pathologies of Hand including tumours, tendinopathies and compression neuropathies.
- Minimally invasive procedures like endoscopic carpal tunnel release, wrist arthroscopy.
- Complex elbow reconstruction and trauma management.
- Clinical and Basic science research
We have, in addition, rehabilitation support by full-fledged physiotherapy and occupational therapy services.
- The department has state-of-the-art instruments, implants and facilities.
- Dedicated Artificial limb centre with an inbuilt workshop and manufacturing facility provides comprehensive orthotic and prosthetic appliances.
- 3 D printing Centre for new age prosthetics and orthotics.
- Department skill lab
- Dedicated and qualified support team of nurses, technicians and paramedics make the department’s working smooth.
Out-Patient Days & Special Clinics
- OPD Days: Monday / Wednesday / Friday
- Speciality Clinics:
- Congenital Hand Clinic: Wednesday
- Brachial plexus Clinic: Friday
Infrastructure (Shared with the Orthopaedics Department)
- Five Operating Theatres
- Four Image Intensifiers
- Two Operating Microscopes
- Laminar Air Flow in two theatres
- Arthroscopy & Endoscopic systems
Dr. Anil K Bhat
Head of Department
Dr. Ashwath Acharya
Dr. Mithun G. Pai