The Department of Psychiatry at Kasturba Hospital is dedicated to providing quality care to people who experience mental health problems. Personalized treatment programs are moulded to meet the needs of each individual. A team of psychiatrists, psychiatric social workers, and clinical psychologists work together to help patients. Patients benefit from the innovation and team philosophy found here. Along with clinical care, the department emphasizes excellence in teaching and research.
- Multidisciplinary evaluation of any mental health problem
- Modified Electroconvulsive Therapy with or without EEG Monitoring
- Clinical Psychopharmacology
- Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS)
- Individual Psychotherapy.
- Family and Marital therapy
- Group therapy
- Therapy for children and adolescents with emotional and behavioral disturbances
- Therapy for individuals with substance abuse / dependence
- Therapy for emotional disorders associated with physical illnesses.
Home visits to enhance assessment and treatment
- Daily outpatient and inpatient services at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal.
- Evening consultation clinic (Daily OPDʼs) at Dr. TMA Pai Hospital, Udupi.
- 24 hours emergency care services.
- Consultation Liaison Psychiatric Services.
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatric services.
- De-addiction clinic for alcohol and other substance abuse.
- Specialists services at student support centre
Community mental health services
- State home for women (monthly visit)
- Vishwasadamane home for wandering mentally ill (monthly visit).
- Udyavara community mental health services (fortnightly)
- Karkala community mental health services (weekly)
- School Mental Health Programme
- Telepsychiatry services to PHC kandlur, PHC Byndoor, CHC Hebri and Basavakalyan, Bidar.
- Regular visits and counselling services offered at Prison in Hiriyadka
Clinics in Kasturba Hospital
- Psychodermatology Clinic in liaison with Department of Dermatology and Clinical Psychology
- Psycho-Oncology in liaison with Oncology
- Medicine Addiction clinic on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinic in liaison with Department of Paediatrics
- Memory Clinic in liaison with Department of Neurology and Clinical Psychology
- Psychosexual Clinic in liaison with Department of Dermatology and Urology
- Sleep Clinic in liaison with Department of Pulmonary Medicine
- Metabolic clinic in liaison with Department of Endocrinology
- Psychiatry clinic at ASARE
HOMBELAKU PSYCHIATRIC REHABILITATION CENTRE
Hombelaku is a medium to long term stay and rehabilitation centre for the chronically mentally ill. It is administratively and functionally integrated to the Kasturba Medical College, Manipal. The centre started functioning in January 2010. The centre is a 50 bedded facility for the chronically mentally ill. It is located in the university campus on a 1.5 Acre plot on a hillside facing a valley at Manipal. It provides a calm and soothing atmosphere to facilitate rehabilitative processes. The centre has separate residential wings for men and women. Each wing has 2 bedded rooms and dormitory facilities with common toilet and bath areas. Day care services are also provided at the centre.
Dr. Samir Kumar Praharaj
Head of Department
Dr. PSVN Sharma
Dr. Savitha S
Dr. Anil Kumar M
Dr. Avinash Kamath
Dr. Rajeshkrishna Bhandary
Dr. Sonia Shenoy
Dr. Suma T Udupa
Dr. Soyuz John
Dr. Umesh Thonse