The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal is dedicated to providing excellent patient care and outstanding education in the field of Orthopaedic Surgery and musculoskeletal Medicine. The department is committed to advance knowledge related to Musculoskeletal conditions through five sub speciality units renowned at both National and International levels.
The Department focuses on patient care through the following sub-specialties like Hand and Microsurgery (Wrist & Elbow); Paediatric Orthopaedics, Spine surgery and Rehabilitation, Sports Medicine (Shoulder, Knee, Foot and Ankle), Complex trauma and Joint Replacement (Hip, Knee and Shoulder), along with rehabilitation support through full-fledged Physiotherapy and Occupational therapy. The Artificial Limb Center with an inbuilt workshop and manufacturing unit facility provides comprehensive Orthotic and Prosthetic care.
Unit i [Hand & Microvascular surgery]
Specialises in treatment and rehabilitation of traumatised hands, Wrist and elbow pathologies, Wrist and elbow arthroscopy, congenital hand anomalies, Brachial plexus injuries, tendon and nerve reconstruction and Micro surgery.
- Correction and rehabilitation of Congenital Hand & Upper Limb deficiencies
- Pollicisation of absent thumb
- All hand and upper limb fractures management
- Small bone lengthening in Hand
- Wrist , small hand joints and elbow arthroscopy and sports injuries of upper limb
- Brachial Plexus Injury repair and reconstruction
- Nerve & Tendon Injuries repair and reconstruction
- Paralytic Upper limb correction
- Biological joint replacement of finger Joints
- Replantation of amputated digits and vascular repairs
- Treatment of elbow, hand and finger stiffness
- Flap surgery to cover large wounds
- Endoscopic carpal tunnel release
- Trigger finger, de Quervain’s tenosynovitis and tennis elbow surgeries
- Prosthetic and orthotic support of upper limb and 3D printed prosthesis
unit ii [Paediatric Orthopaedics]
Special clinics are conducted for Congenital Foot and Hip Disorders, Cerebral Palsy, Perthes’ disease, Limb Lengthening and Complicated Paediatric cases.
- Correction of Club Foot and DDH
- Other Complex Congenital diseases of lower limb
- Neuromuscular disorders evaluation and management
- Complex pediatric hip disorder management
- Deformity correction of lower limb and limb lengthening
- Osteomyelitis and septic arthritis and their sequelae
- Paediatric trauma
- Metabolic bone disease management
- Paediatric tumor
- Diagnosis and management of Skeletal dysplasia
Unit iii [Spinal Surgery]
Deals with correction of Spinal Deformities and management of Spinal injuries, Tumors of the Spine, Spinal Tuberculosis. The unit also focuses on Complex Hip Disorders and performs Primary and Revision Total Hip Replacement Arthroplasty.
- Back pain management
- Deformity correction, posterior instrumentation and fusion in Scoliosis.
- Anterior decompression, posterior instrumentation and global fusion in tuberculosis of the spine.
- Fenestration and discectomy.
- Minimally invasive discectomy & Mini TLIF Surgery.
- Pedicle Screw Fixation
- Stabilization of Fractures of the spine
- Anterior cervical spine decompression, stabilization & fusion.
- Reduction, stabilization & fusion in spondylolisthesis.
- Bone tumor excision & reconstruction.
- Primary and Revision Total Hip Replacement Arthroplasty.
Unit iv [Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine]
Specialises in Arthroscopic Surgery of various joints, Sports Medicine and arthroplasty of knee. Arthroscopy of the knee and shoulder
- Arthroscopic Ligament reconstruction of ACL & PCL, arthroscopic avulsion fracture fixations
- Complex repairs and reconstructions of multiligament injuries of the knee
- Arthroscopic meniscal surgeries including meniscal repair
- Arthroscopic stabilisation for recurrent dislocation shoulder, Rotator cuff repair, SLAP tears and Acromioclavicular joint stabilization
- Complex fracture fixation of shoulder and shoulder replacement
- Arthroscopic assisted surgery for recurrent dislocation of patella
- Deformity correction of knee: High tibial osteotomy
- Advanced cartilage surgeries, including Autologous Cartilage Implantation
- Arthroplasty of Knee
- Ankle Ligament reconstruction for recurrent ankle sprain
- Management of Ankle & foot injuries and deformities
- Management of repetitive stress injuries
unit v [complex Trauma and Joint Replacement]
Specialises in complicated trauma, Polytrauma, Primary and Revision Hip and Knee surgery.
- Joint replacement surgeries (Primary and revision of hip, knee, shoulder)
- Tumour resection and limb reconstruction with mega prosthesis.
- Management of peri prosthetic fracture, prosthetic joint infection.
- Arthroscopy assisted treatment of knee and shoulder problems.
- Revision of joint replacement
- Polytrauma/open fracture management.
- Management of late complication of fractures and dislocations.
- Acetabular fracture Fixation
- Minimal invasive plating for articular fractures
- Internal fixation and replacement arthroplasty for fractures around the hip joint.
- Limb reconstruction surgeries
The Physiotherapy outpatient department is equipped with necessary electro therapeutic equipment such as
- Electrical stimulator
- Wax bath
- Hot and cold packs
A fully equipped fitness center is established for weight reduction and for general health in normal as well as the diseased
The Centre deals with all kinds of pre and postoperative orthopaedic and trauma conditions with reported functional limitations. The services include
- Scheduling, Social skill training, Stress management and assertive training.
- For Clients With Mental Illness :Group therapy activity
- House and Work Site evaluation and modification
- Balance and Coordination training
- Perceptual and Cognitive training
- Neurodevelopment and Sensory integrative therapy
- Hand Function and Hand Writing training
- Community based services
- Biofeedback and functional electrical stimulation, Ergonomics and Back care
- Activities of Daily Living (ADL) training
- Work hardening and retraining
- Wheelchair training and modification
- Instrumentation : Splinting , Assistive and Positioning devices
Artificial Limb Center
The center offers comprehensive Orthotic and Prosthetic services. The high quality artificial limbs, or prosthetic devices have transformed many disabled people’s lives. 3D printed prosthesis is a new application which has been started
Dr. Shyamasunder Bhat N
Head of Department
Dr. Sharath Kumar Rao
DEAN & professor
Dr. Anil K Bhat
Associate Dean & Professor
Dr. Kiran V Acharya
Dr. Hitesh Shah
Dr. Ashwath M Acharya
Dr. Monappa Naik
Dr. Sandeep Vijayan
Dr. Vivek Pandey
Dr. Raghuraj Kundangar
Dr. Nishanth A
Dr. Jayakrishnan K N
Dr. Krishna Prasad P R
Dr. Sandesh Madi
Dr. Amrath Raj BK
Dr. Mahesh Kulkarni
Dr. Madhav Pai
Dr. Sujayendra DM
Dr. Sourabh Shetty