About Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy
Skin is the largest organ in the human body. Hence, it is very necessary to take care of your skin in order to keep it healthy and glowing. The Department of Dermatology at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal was established in the year 1970. It caters to patients with skin problems, sexually transmitted diseases, leprosy and cosmetic problems. It routinely carries out dermatologic and cosmetic procedures such as biopsies, skin grafting, cryotherapy, electrocautery, chemical peels and lasers. It is one of the pioneers of Immunofluorescence diagnostic technology and Phototherapy in various skin diseases in the country. There has been a constant effort to keep abreast in the field of research and therapeutics ever since its inception.
There are eight experienced consultants in various fields of Dermatology. Some of them have acquired fellowships in various foreign universities like Ninewells Hospital and Medical school, Dundee, Scotland and St Thomas Hospital, London. The department regularly conducts psychodermatology clinics with clinical psychologists and psychiatrists and sexual dysfunction clinics with urologists and psychiatrists.
- Skin biopsy for histopathological examination
- Patch testing for diagnosis of allergic contact dermatitis
- Photopatch test – used for diagnosis of photoallergic contact dermatitis
- Immunofluroescence – Direct & Indirect Immunofluorescence are used for accurate diagnosis of various vesiculobullous disorders and auto immune conditions
- Antigen mapping for Epidermolysis bullosa
- Dermatoscope – Useful in the diagnosis of various skin condition
- Various staining methods for the diagnosis eg Gram’s stain, Geimsa stain, Tzanck smear, tissue smear etc
- Facility for dark ground examination
- Intradermal testing (Prick test)
- Trichoscan: Used in the diagnosis of hair disorders
- Trichogram: Used in the diagnosis of hair disorders
- Woodʼs lamp examination – useful in the diagnosis of various pigmentary and infectious conditions
UVA Chambers – Used to administer UVA light for bath PUVA as well as oral PUVA for conditions like psoriasis, vitiligo, photodermatoses and Keratinisation disorders
Phillips TL-01 NB UVB – Used in the management of vitiligo, atopic dermatitis, intractable itch of end stage liver, renal diseases etc.
Hand and Foot UVA unit (Daavlin): – Used for diseases limited to hand and feet like Palmoplantar Psoriasis vitiligo and hand and feet dermatitis.
Hand and foot NBUVB unit (Daavlin): Used for diseases limited to hand and feet like Palmoplantar Psoriasis vitiligo and hand and feet dermatitis.
Targeted phototherapy unit (Daavlin): Used for treating localised vitiligo, localised psoriasis and alopecia areata
Cosmetic & Dermatological Surgery
- Chemical Peels – Used for pigmentary disorders, acne scar, skin ageing etc. Glycolic acid peel, salicylic, yellow peels are available.
- Dermabrasion – Used for removal of superficial scars, acne scars and nevi.
- Microdermabrasion – Used in Superficial acne scars, rejuvenation of aged facial skin, striae.
- Radiofrequency ablation – Used in removal of various benign skin tumours, warts, nevi and also for skin biopsy.
- Electrocautery – Used in removal of warts, seborrhoiec keratoses, skin tags, colloid milia.
- Punch skin grafting – This minor surgical procedure finds its use in vitiligo and chronic non healing leg ulcers.
- Cryotherapy: Liquid nitrogen cryotherapy is used in the treatment of warts, seborrheic keratosis etc
- Blister & split-thickness skin grafting -Used in vitiligo and leg ulcers.
- Q-switched Nd: YAG laser for pigmented lesions
- Diode laser for permanent hair reduction.
- Fractional ablative resurfacing with Er. YAG & CO2 laser for acne scars, & stretch marks
- Micro needling radio frequency for acne scars & stretch marks
- Co2 laser for removal of warts and skin tags
- Nail surgery for the treatment of Ingrown toe nail
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment for hair loss
- Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) treatment for non-healing wounds
- Intralesional steroid injection for keloid, alopecia areata etc
Facilities and equipments:
- Minor OT
- Laser centre
- Full-fledged phototherapy unit
- Facility for administering bath PUVA
- Full- fledged lab for performing all bed side diagnostics tests
- Psychodermatology and sexual dysfunction clinics
- Erbium YAG Fractional laser
- Diode laser
- CO2 ablative and fractional laser
- Micro needling with radiofrequency
- Q switched Nd:YAG laser
- Contact dermatitis unit
- Full- fledged Immunofluorescence lab
- Radiofrequency micro needling
Dr. Raghavendra Rao
Head of Department
Dr. Sathish Pai B
Dr. Smitha Prabhu S
Dr. Sudhir Nayak U K
Dr. Varsha M Shetty
Dr. Pratheeksha S